Sunday, March 30, 2014

DAY 133 - COUNTING DOWN TO THE 50TH

Good Morning, Class of '64
SOUTH BEACH BATHERS - JOHN SLOAN - 1908
Live in the sunshine, 
swim the sea, 
drink the wild air.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A HOLIDAY - EDWARD HENRY POTTHAST
At the Sea-Side

Robert Louis Stevenson

 When I was down beside the sea
  A wooden spade they gave to me
     To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup.
In every hole the sea came up,
   Till it could come no more.

SUMMER PLEASURES - EDWARD HENRY POTTHAST


THE BATHERS - PABLO PICASSO
Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
First released in June 1960 by Brian Hyland
Hyland's version hit #1 

on the Billboard Hot 100 
on August 8, 1960 and also made 
the top 10 in other countries.
The song prompted a sudden takeoff
in bikini sales - credited as being
one of the earliest contributors
to the acceptance of the bikini.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itsy_Bitsy_Teenie_Weenie_Yellow_Polka_Dot_Bikini

Three Bathers - Shirl Goedike

Ebb Tide
The build up of the song is to illustrate
 the ocean waves coming in and out,
 to and from the shores, 
due to the Ebb Tides.
ebb tide  (Ä•b) 
The period between high tide 
and low tide during which water 
flows away from the shore. 
Also called falling tide.
Ebb Tide - Lenny Welch - 1964 


Ebb Tide 
 
First the tide rushes in
Plants a kiss on the shore
Then rolls out to sea
And the sea is very still once more
 
So I rush to your side
Like the oncoming tide
With one burning thought
Will your arms open wide 
 
At last we're face to face
And as we kiss through an embrace
I can tell, I can feel
You are love, your are real
Really mine in the rain
In the dark, in the sun
 
Like the tide at its ebb
I'm at peace in the web of your arms
Ebb tide!!!!
Ebb Tide - Juan S. Archuleta - http://artatarchuleta.com/seatreesvineyard-courtyard.html

Knitting Girl by the Sea - Bernard Blommers
Sea Longing 

Sara Teasdale

on 
Poem of The Day
(audio)

A thousand miles beyond this sun-steeped wall
Somewhere the waves creep cool along the sand,
The ebbing tide forsakes the listless land

With the old murmur, long and musical;
The windy waves mount up and curve and fall,
And round the rocks the foam blows up like snow,--
Tho' I am inland far, I hear and know, 
For I was born the sea's eternal thrall.
I would that I were there and over me
The cold insistence of the tide would roll,
Quenching this burning thing men call the soul,--
Then with the ebbing I should drift and be
Less than the smallest shell along the shoal,
Less than the sea-gulls calling to the sea. 
A Family Outing - Carl Eugene Murlett

No comments:

Post a Comment