Friday, March 28, 2014

DAY 135 - COUNTING DOWN TO THE 50TH

Girl Seated by the Sea - Robert Henri

By The Sea



Emily Dickinson



I started early, took my dog,
And visited the sea;
The mermaids in the basement
Came out to look at me.

And frigates in the upper floor
Extended hempen hands,
Presuming me to be a mouse
Aground, upon the sands.

But no man moved me till the tide
Went past my simple shoe,
And past my apron and my belt,
And past my bodice too,

And made as he would eat me up
As wholly as a dew
Upon a dandelion's sleeve -
And then I started too.

And he - he followed close behind;
I felt his silver heel
Upon my ankle, - then my shoes
Would overflow with pearl.

Until we met the solid town,
No man he seemed to know;
And bowing with a mighty look
At me, the sea withdrew.

Collecting Sea Shells - Marie Green - 1900

Beyond the Sea
Bobby Darin's version of Charles Trenet's 
classic "Beyond The Sea" 
was recorded in 1959.
reaching no. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100,
 no. 15 on the US R&B Chart, 
and no. 8 in the UK Singles Chart.

The classic, La Mer, talks of white seagulls, 
tall wet reeds, rusty houses, and clear gulfs.
With new lyrics, "Beyond the Sea" 
talks about a man and his love.

La Mer
(The Sea)
Charles Trenet
Written by Charles Trenet 
and recorded in1946. 
It became an unexpected hit.

POLL

Would you rather:

Go down to the sea
Go up to the mountains
Stay at home
Take a group tour
(Poll is in the side bar to the right of your screen.)

Children on the Beach - Winslow Homer

There was a magic about the sea. People were drawn to it. People wanted to love by it, swim in it, play in it, look at it. It was a living thing that as as unpredictable as a great stage actor: it could be calm and welcoming, opening its arms to embrace it's audience one moment, but then could explode with its stormy tempers, flinging people around, wanting them out, attacking coastlines, breaking down islands. It had a playful side too, as it enjoyed the crowd, tossed the children about, knocked lilos over, tipped over windsurfers, occasionally gave sailors helping hands; all done with a secret little chuckle.
Cecelia Ahern, The Gift

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/sea 
 
Little Sea Bathers - Edward Henry Potthast

No comments:

Post a Comment