Tuesday, March 18, 2014

DAY 143 - COUNTING DOWN TO THE 50TH

GOOD MORNING, CLASS OF '64
Washington's Birthday - 1798 - Jean Leon Gerome Ferris



Birthday


 Robert William Service (16th January 1949)


I thank whatever gods may be
For all the happiness that's mine;
That I am festive, fit and free
To savour women, wit and wine;
That I may game of golf enjoy,
And have a formidable drive:
In short, that I'm a gay old boy
Though I be
Seventy-and-five.


My daughter thinks. because I'm old
(I'm not a crock, when all is said),
I mustn't let my feet get cold,
And should wear woollen socks in bed;
A worsted night-cap too, forsooth!
To humour her I won't contrive:
A man is in his second youth
When he is
Seventy-and-five.


At four-score years old age begins,
And not till then, I warn my wife;
At eighty I'll recant my sins,
And live a staid and sober life.
But meantime let me whoop it up,
And tell the world that I'm alive:
Fill to the brim the bubbly cup -
Here's health to
Seventy-and-five!


Are birthdays still a celebration or do they pass by without much notice? Maybe honoring them is important for the family, but your own anticipation is not as keen. 

At what age do we wish to stop the clock and go no farther into the aging years? Could it be thirty, the halfway point to sixty? Could it be the middle age of forty? Could it be fifty when, by now, glasses or bifocals are needed for the first time in our lives? How could it be that the sixtieth, and then some, of those birthday years have already come and gone?

The ticktocking persists and becomes louder. Too soon the clock on the wall will have ticked us to seventy and beyond. Make friends with the clock on the wall. Tick tock, Tick tock.

Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
In 1957 for The Tuneweavers  
Number four on the R&B chart 
and went to number five on the Hot 100
Cover by Bobby Vee
Happy, Happy Birthday, Baby -  Bobby Vee - 1961
 Hope I didn't spoil your birthday
I'm not acting like a lady
So I'll close this note to you
With good luck and wishes too
Happy, happy birthday, baby
 
Grandfather's Birthday - Frederick Morgan
 Forty is the old age of youth;
 fifty the youth of old age. 
Victor Hugo

I will never be an old man. To me, old age is always 15 years older than I am.
Francis Bacon

 Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young.
 Theodore Roosevelt

2 comments:

  1. I think after 50 we should start going back at least a month or two every year or so !! lol.Love that song!!!!Jmc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Franis Bacon's saying!!!

    ReplyDelete