Thursday, April 24, 2014

DAY 107 -COUNING DOWN TO THE 50TH

GOOD MORNING, CLASS OF '64
The Sailor Musician - William Henry Midwood
The Secret of the Sea

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(from Seaside and Fireside, 1850)

In each sail that skims the horizon,
In each landward-blowing breeze,
I behold that stately galley,
Hear those mournful melodies;

Till my soul is full of longing
For the secret of the sea,
And the heart of the great ocean
Sends a thrilling pulse through me.
A Sailor's Return - L.F. Tantillo
 Requiem
Robert Louis Stevenson
(from Underwoods, 1887)
Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.
Outward Bound - Norman Rockwell
 One Hit Wonders - 1957


Ivory Joe Hunter
Since I Met You Baby
Written by Ivory Joe Hunter (his real name)
"Since I Met You Baby" topped
the Billboard magazine
Rhythm and Blues Records chart
for three weeks in 1956,
and became Hunter's only
Billboard Hot 100 entry,
stopping at No. 12.
 This was his only Top 40 pop song.
Some estimate he wrote
more than 7,000 songs.
Ivory Joe Hunter - 1956
Sometimes God calms the storm,
sometimes He calms the sailor.
Unknown
 Cindy, Oh Cindy
Peaked at No. 9 on the charts.
Also recorded by Eddie Fisher,
and it was his last Top 40 single.
Vince Martin And The Tarriers - 1956 

Cindy oh Cindy

Cindy, oh, Cindy
Cindy don't let me down
Write me a letter soon
And I'll be homeward bound

I joined the navy to see the world
But nowhere could I find
A girl as sweet as Cindy
The girl I left behind
I sailed the wide world over
Can't get her out of my mind

Cindy oh Cindy
Cindy don't let me down
Write me a letter soon
And I'll be homeward bound

I see her face in every wave
Her lips kiss every breeze
Her lovin' arms reach out to me
Through calm and stormy seas
At night I pace the lonely deck
Caressed by memories

Cindy oh Cindy
Cindy don't let me down
Write me a letter soon
And I'll be homeward bound

I know my Cindy's waiting for me
As I walk the deck alone
Her lovin' arms reach out for me
Soon I'll be heading home
Then my sailin' days will be over
And no more will I roam

Cindy oh Cindy
Cindy don't let me down
Write me a letter soon
And I'll be homeward bound
Mmmmm Mmmmm...

Vince Martin
INTERVIEW
The story of Cindy, Oh Cindy  
 Interview recorded in Brooklyn,
September 14th & 15th, 2009.
(language warning)

An angry skipper makes an unhappy crew.
Rudyard Kipling

Cathy Carr

Ivory Tower
 
Carr's version reached #2 and
Gale Storm's #6 on the Billboard pop charts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Tower_(1956_song)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Carr
Cathy Carr - 1956
The Ancient Mariner would not have taken
so well if it had been called The Old Sailor.
Samuel Butler 
The Teen Queens
Eddie, My Love
(sisters of the song's writer)
Number three on the R&B Best Seller chart and
 Number fourteen on the Billboard Charts 
The Teen Queens - 1956

A sailor is an artist whose medium is the wind.
Webb Chiles
Sailor's Wedding - Ralph Calhoon

It isn’t that life ashore is distasteful to me.
But life at sea is better.
Sir Francis Drake
The Sea Captain's Return Home - Unknown
 At sea, I learned how little a person needs,
not how much.
Robin Lee Graham
Basin with Sailor - John Singer Sargent
 The Old Sailor
Margaret Elizabeth Sangster
I've crossed the bar at last, mates,
My longest voyage is done;
And I can sit here, peaceful,
And watch th' setting sun
A-smilin' kind of glad like
Upon the waves so free.
My longest voyage is done, mates,
But oh, the heart of me,
Is out where sea meets skyline!
My longest voyage is done. . . .
But - can I sit, in peace, mates,
And watch the settin' sun?

For what's a peaceful life, mates,
When every breeze so free,
When every gale a-blowin',
Brings messages to me?
And is the sky so shinin',
For all it's golden sun,
To one who loves the sea, mates,
And knows his voyage is done?
And, can a year on land, mates,
Match with one day - at sea?
Ah, every wind a-singin'
Brings memory to me!

I've crossed the bar at last, mates,
My longest voyage is past,
And I must watch the sunset,
Must see it fade, at last.
My steps are not so light, mates,
As they were, years ago;
And sometimes, when I'm tired,
My head droops kind of low -
Yet, though I'm old and - weary,
The waves that dance so free,
Keep callin' to my soul, mates,
And thrill the heart of me!
The Old Sailor - John Keaton

No comments:

Post a Comment