Wednesday, April 16, 2014

DAY 117 - COUNTING DOWN TO THE 50TH

Good Morning, Class of '64
Children Playing With Kite - Adam Emory Albright
A Child in the Garden
Henry Van Dyke
 When to the garden of untroubled thought
I came of late, and saw the open door,
And wished again to enter, and explore
The sweet, wild ways with stainless bloom inwrought,
And bowers of innocence with beauty fraught,
It seemed some purer voice must speak before
I dared to tread that garden loved of yore,
That Eden lost unknown and found unsought.


Then just within the gate I saw a child, --
A stranger-child, yet to my heart most dear;
He held his hands to me, and softly smiled
With eyes that knew no shade of sin or fear:
"Come in," he said, "and play awhile with me;"
"I am the little child you used to be." 



Playing Children - Peter Hansen

April 16, 1964
(Thursday)

The Rolling Stones release their debut album, The Rolling Stones.
9 men sentenced 25-30 years for Britain's 1963 "Great Train Robbery"
Defense Secretary Robert S. McNamara Wednesday denied an Air Force sergeant's charges that U.S. casualty figures in South Viet Nam had been "covered up"
Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara told Congress today to expect more economy closings of military installations -- but he didn't say where or when.

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/04/15/3057601/fifty-years-ago-today-april-16.html?sp=/99/178/#storylink=cpy
d


Are Pinky Lee and Molly Bee stored somewhere in your memory bank? Pinky Lee was silly and hyper. That's remembered. He wore a little hat and a wild looking suit that got your attention, but not with colors. Since The Pinky Lee Show wasn't filmed in color, it all looked shades of gray and black and white. 

His antics entertained us, and Molly Bee was a pretty lady with blond hair and a ponytail. She sang songs and didn't always seem too sure of Pinky. He was a bit unpredictable but fun to watch. 

Pinky lived into his eighties, but Molly never saw her seventies. All of the entertainers from our early childhood have probably left us for a better place. At our age, we are much older than they were when they came on the television screen and made us laugh and encouraged us to say please and thank you.
Thank you Pinky Lee and Molly Bee.
Pinky Lee
(Pincus Leff)
Hosted The Pinky Lee Show in the early 1950s.
Emmy-nominated afternoon children's program
(Pinky advertised for Tootsie Roll candy)
Yoo hoo, it's me,
My name is Pinky Lee.
I skip and run with lots of fun
For every he and she.
It's plain to see
That you can tell it's me
With my checkered hat
And my checkered coat,
The funny giggle in my throat
And my silly dance
Like a billy goat.
Put 'em all together,
Put 'em all together,
And it's whooooo?

Children Playing in Stream - Wessel Marias
Molly Bee
Pinky Lee's sidekick 
on The Pinky Lee Show.
a regular on Hometown Jamboree
a local television program featuring 
Tennessee Ernie Ford
She was nominated in 1966 
as "Best Television Personality"
by The Academy of Country Music Awards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Bee

Second Childhood
Robert William Service
When I go on my morning walk,
Because I'm mild,
If I be in the mood to talk
I choose a child.
I'd rather prattle with a lass
Of tender age
Than converse in the high-brow class
With college sage.

I love the touch of silken hand
That softly clings;
In old of age I understand
Life's little things.
I love the lisp of tiny tongue
And trusting eyes;
These are the joys that keep me young
As daylight dies.

For as to second childhood I
Draw gently near,
With happy heart I see the why
Children are dear.
So wise Professor, go your way,--
I am beguiled
To wistful loving by the gay
Laugh of a child.

AFTERNOON TEA - HARRY BROOKER

No comments:

Post a Comment